Wednesday, November 09, 2005


DREAMING OF WARMTH AND LIGHT...

The nights are so much darker now. It is a cold, crisp dark that takes your breath away and the wind rattles the leaves that are still bravely clinging to the branches of the trees. The night are also colder and my youngest skips about wondering how soon the first snowfall will come.

As much as I love each season, I still find the transition to cold and dark hardest of all. Once the snow comes, it will blanket things until spring. For now, the wind seems to scour the dying grasses and withered plants, skittering across nothing but semi-frozen packed earth. It swirls in eddies around the new doors we put in, seeking cracks and openings where it could steal into the warmth and light of our house.

The power of being a visual person is that I can close my eyes, despite the sound of the wind on our shutters, and feel the warmth of the summer sun on my face. I can look at pictures such as this one and know, deep down, that warmth and light will return eventually. This darkness will not last forever. Tonight’s quote reminds me of why taking time to dream is so important...

‘Some men see things as they are and ask “why?”.
I dream of things that never were and ask “why not?”’

- George Bernard Shaw

1 Comments:

Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

Oooh, how I long to be in one of those chairs, letting the sun warm my face and listening to the water lapping at the dock.

It has been a long dreary fall so far and it does get harder to remember what a beautiful day was like.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home